Wednesday, July 08, 2015

What workplaces need to learn from Uber's rider rating

I've started using Uber only recently. One thing I really respect is the company's decision to allow the drivers to rate riders.

I was in an Uber car yesterday, and during our ride the driver said, "Passenger is God to me" (a variation of the "Guest is God" tradition in Indian hospitality). While it was nice to hear that, I also liked what he said next - that Uber drivers get to rate their customers too.

This 'rider rating' is terrific because it balances the power between the driver and rider. Otherwise, drivers would have to put up with bad behaviour without recourse. My driver told me that the worst offenders were drunks who treated him liked they owned him, just because he was the driver. If there was no rider rating system in place, I am sure the driver would feel powerless to do anything.

The one draw-back is that the Uber app doesn't explicitly tell you (as a customer) that the driver will rate you. Perhaps if the app did that at the point of trip booking, 1) the customer would be alerted right at the start of the ride and 2) customer behaviour would be better.

This rating system is what I'd like to see workplaces emulate. Not only should the boss rate the subordinate, but the subordinate should also rate the boss (ie, not just 360 feedback).

Comments? Email me cvdhruve@gmail.com